Friday, September 23, 2011

Princess Castle, Cookies & Cake Pops

I was asked to do a cake for a friends little girl, turning three, and I suggested a castle cake.  I found one that I really liked here and set about working out sizes and recipes etc.  I decided on three different varieties of mud cake - chocolate, white chocolate and caramel.  I baked two trial cakes, just to make sure the recipes would work in the size tins that I had - I sent these of to work with my hubby as I didn't need two yummy cakes staring at me everytime I went to the kitchen.

I ended up using a 10" round tin on the bottom layer; a 6" round tin for the middle and a stack of two 7.5cm cakes for the top.  Although it's a little (LOT) more pink than I intended it to be; and it's a little (LOT) wonky, especially in some places; I'm pretty happy with my attempt overall.  I've decided that professional cake decorators can truly charge any price they wish......it's sooooooo hard for us humble Mum's to replicate their artwork!!  They really are so very talented at what they can do with some cake and some icing LOL.


Of course, it wouldn't be a princess party without the addition of some Princess cake pops.  My first attempts worked really well (they have the gold crowns) and then I decided that since I had a ton of pink icing, I would make the crowns pink.  I think they look good either way.

Princess Cake Pops


I also tried my hand at some Sugar Cookies.  These are a basic cookie dough that is cut to shape and then decorated with royal icing.  I was happy with my trial batch and then I got a little impatient with the batch for the party and ended up with air bubbles.  They still went down a treat though.  I don't think anyone really noticed the bubbles!

No comments:

Post a Comment