Sunday, March 18, 2012

My boy turned 7 and decided on Spiderman for his birthday cake.  There are some really cool layered Spiderman/Batman/Superman cakes but he only wanted Spiderman.  I had a busy week with two other cakes to make for the same day so I used the freezer.  I baked the cakes and wrapped them in cling film and froze them – it worked really well; I even coated one with buttercream first and I also shaped and coated the Spiderman one!

Spiderman Cupcakes
Cupcakes
These were for school and because I already had so much to do I decided to push the limits a little by freezing them fully decorated.  I had done some successful testing and it seemed to work fantastically.  Unfortunately between me freezing them and defrosting them NSW got hit by the worst weather it has seen in a very long time – my decorated cupcakes went soggy L  I tried a couple of different things to bring them back (a fan, icing sugar, tylose powder) but nothing really worked.  Next time I will freeze the undecorated cupcakes as it’s not worth the risk!

Spiderman / Web Cookies

Cookies
I checked with my cookie decorating guru about whether it is possible to freeze these decorated and she had previously done them individually wrapped with success.  Mine were for the party table so I wrapped them in single layers with cling film and put them into an airtight container.  I transferred them to the fridge first and then put them (unwrapped) onto a cooling rack to defrost completely before returning them to an airtight container.  Worked – hooray!!

Spiderman Cake Pops
Cake Pops
I was going to do these ahead and freeze them too but given the state of the weather I decided that wasn’t a good idea.  They were rushed (as you can tell) but the kids devoured them in a matter of seconds!

Spiderman Cake
Spiderman Cake
I used two 20x30cm white chocolate mud cakes with buttercream in the middle.  I cut the oval Spiderman shape for his head from this.  As I was so short on time (or I would be by the time party day rolled around) I froze the cake once it was cut and fully buttercreamed.  I just wrapped it in cling film & I had no problems defrosting it when the time came to cover it with fondant.  It was a pretty easy cake to decorate as I only needed to cover it and then pipe the web detail on top.  I had, what I thought was, a really good idea to write the “Happy Birthday” greeting on the cake board – because we weren’t going to be eating it I decided to use scrapbooking rub-on letters.  It sounded like a great idea and I thought it would save me the time of piping it on.  Note to self:  Rub-ons do NOT stick to fondant!!!!  It was a complete disaster which is why there is a little cardboard printout stuck on top instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment