Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cake Pops Galore!!

I have been in cake pop land the last couple of days and I had quite a bit more success with this lot.  I went for the cake used in the Donna Hay Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake recipe because it's already such a yummy cake.  I've easily ended up with around 60 cake balls so I have some sitting in the freezer waiting.

Fish Bowls
Happy Birthday Faces
Mr Bump
Lego Heads


Chickens
Mr Happy

Same Colour Swirl

Triple Coat

Mr Grumpy
Anyone want to guess how long it took to place those photos on here......arrrgh!!  So not computer savvy!!  Apologies if they still don't line up, but on my screen they do.....true!

I don't like the arms - they're too hard to do (which is why Mr Happy has a few fingers and Mr Grumpy has none!) and they're not going to take transportation too well.  I'm still working on something to replace them. 

I'm also finding the biggest drama with the fondant accessories is that, even though I form them on a rounded surface, they don't completely match up to the finished cake pop surface.  This was especially noticeable on the fish bowls, for the fish themselves and for the top of the bowls.  I really don't want to have to make each piece as I make each pop.....that's just too much work!!

Anyway, lets just say that I've learnt a few more things and there are also a few things that I won't try again!  For anyone wishing to colour their own white candy melts, the powder colours are cheaper but the results are not reliable as the powder won't fully dissolve into the candy.  I will be going for the oil-based colours next time.