Friday, February 3, 2012

Christening Cake

I had a call from a friend who wanted to know if I could do a christening cake for the weekend – giving me a total of three days to work with.  I declined as I did not think I could do a reasonable job in that timeframe.  Somehow, after another phone call, I ended up saying that I would give it a shot.  It was a pretty simple cake and, even though it was my first time baking this particular chocolate mud cake recipe in a tin that size, it worked out quite well.  I had trouble with the blocks for the top – why is it that the simplest things always end up being the hardest to actually achieve?  The cake topper and the ribbon were given to me by the customer.
This was my first time using ganache to coat the cake instead of buttercream – I still hoped the finished look would be a lot smoother than it ended up.  I’m hoping more practice will help with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment