Thursday, August 4, 2011

Delta Cream Cupcakes

I've done some more baking.  I've made Lemon Curd Squares (from Donna Hay magazine number 51) and although I had some drama getting it out of the pan, it was yummo!

I've also came accross some Oreo cupcakes on Bakerella's blog - you can find her recipe and gorgeous pics here.  I changed mine to use Delta Cream biscuits, to keep it a little Aussie.



While mine are definately not as pretty as hers, they tasted fantastic.  My major discovery was the icing recipe - Bakerella used shortening, which we don't have access to here, except for Copha, soooooo I tweaked a recipe I found in my Whoopie Pie cookbook (by Angela Drake) and came up with:

MARSHMALLOW ICING

1 packet white marshmallows
4 tbs milk
100g copha
1 cup icing sugar (maybe a bit extra)

Melt the mallows and milk in the microwave, allow to cool to about room temperature.
Melt the copha in another bowl and allow to cool slightly. Beat the icing sugar into the copha and then beat in the mallow mixture. You can add more icing sugar, if required.


I didn't really think it would work because the copha is so, so solid in it's original form, but it worked amazingly.  It was quite white (until I added the cookie crumbs to it, which I wish I'd left out!) and it was reasonably easy to pipe (a bit messy to try and spread on) and it stays soft but ends up quite stable to touch.

Mmmmmmm.